John L. Acken
1420 South Union Avenue,
Tacoma, WA 98405
John Louis Acken is a Partner in the South Sound offices of GLP Attorneys and has been exclusively representing victims of personal injury for nearly 25 years.
Over his career, John has successfully recovered over $63,000,000 in jury verdicts and settlements for his clients. Prior to joining GLP Attorneys in 2015, John practiced personal injury law as a partner at the law firm of Howell & Thornhill, P.A. in Winter Haven, Florida.
John graduated from the University of Florida and earned his Juris Doctorate with Honors from Drake University Law School. While in law school, he was a member of Law Review and on the National Mock Trial Team. He began his legal career as an Assistant Public Defender for the 10th Judicial Circuit in Polk County, Florida, where he served as a Felony Trial Division Chief Attorney.
John is admitted to practice in the states of Washington, Florida, Maine, and New Hampshire. Since 2008, he has been Board Certified by the Florida Bar as an Expert in Civil Trial Law, which is the highest level of recognition by The Florida Bar of the competency and experience of attorneys in the areas of law approved for certification by the Florida Supreme Court.
John is active in the community and has been a member of Rotary International over 20 years. He is a past Member of the Board of Directors of the Haines City Rotary Club and is a current member of the Gig Harbor Midday Rotary Club.
- Florida Bar Board Certified Civil Trial Lawyer, 2008 – Present
- BV-Rated, Martindale Hubbell, 2015
- Million Dollar Circle, GLP Attorneys, 2018
- Paul Harris Fellow, Rotary International
- Drake University Law School, J.D., with honors, 1997
- University of Florida, B.A., Political Science. 1994
- Washington State Bar, 2015
- New Hampshire State Bar, 2009
- Maine State Bar, 2003
- Florida State Bar, 1997
- Washington State Association for Justice, Eagle Member, 2015 – Present
- Tacoma Pierce County Bar Association, Member, 2015 – Present
- Florida Justice Association, Eagle Member, 2003 – 2015
- Maine Trial Lawyers Association, Member, 2003 – 2008
- Tampa Bay Trial Lawyers Association, Member, 2003 - 2013
- Polk County Trial Lawyers Association, Member, 2000 – 2015
- Haines City Rotary Club, Member, 2002 – 2015
- Gig Harbor Midday Rotary Club, Member, 2015 - Present
When not working, John enjoys spending time outdoors, boating, skiing, running, hiking, swimming, and traveling with his wife and children.